Bronco Blazer

• November 2Congratulations to our Teacher of the Year finalists: Ms. Chaves, Ms. Mack-Williams, and Ms. McCartney!

• October 29Buy your yearbook today! Go to www.balfour.com and search for George Bush High School.

• August 21Pre-order your yearbook to guarantee a copy! Go to www:balfour.com today!

Dr. Crear Wins Principal of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dr. Crear Wins Principal of the Year

C.B

Bush High School’s principal, Dr. Cecilia Crear, was selected as FBISD’s 2018 Secondary Principal of the Year! Dr. Crear has done an outstanding job of establishing her mission statement and getting the students and teachers, as well as the district, to believe in her vision which is ‘Success, Nothing less.” Dr. Crear provides a very positive atmosphere at Bush HS. She interacts with all of the students and makes everyone feel welcome. Dr. Crear discusses the process of being nominated and her thoughts as she was presented with this award.

“This was a nomination from my peers, so from other secondary schools which consists of many middle schools and high schools. There is a profile that Fort Bend uses to determine whether the person that is selected meets the criteria. When I was presented with this award, I was speechless. You know, I do what I do because it’s from the heart so it’s a beautiful thing when somebody else sees your heart, but you don’t do it for that. You do it because that’s what you do. So again, it was a huge honor to receive this award,” said Dr. Crear.

Dr. Crear shares her experience as well as what she enjoys most about being a principal.

“I’ve been a principal for 6 years now, this is year number 6 at Bush High School. When I was in Alief, I was an associate principal, an assistance principal, and a teacher. What I enjoy most about being a principal is my interaction with kids and the impact that I can make on kids. That’s probably the reason why I’ve been a principal for as long as I have because a lot of the times with high school principals, this job is really hard. It’s challenging and fast so you can get burned out, but what keeps me going is kids because that’s my ministry. The best part of my job is watching kids flourish and watching them grow,” said Dr. Crear.

Dr. Crear talks about her plans on further impacting Bush High School.

“Well I always do a reflection at the end of the school year. Throughout the year I start thinking about different ways to keep it fresh and different ways to pull kids into more leadership responsibilities. This is y’all’s school and I want it to be somewhere you want to come, so I’m just always thinking about ideas on how to empower students to take over and make it more positive for their own experiences while they’re in high school,” said Dr. Crear.

Senior, Giovanni Amadi, talks about how Dr. Crear is finally getting the recognition she deserves for being an excellent inspiration and role model to the students and staff at Bush.

“I really felt like she deserved this award, but in all honesty, I already had a feeling she was going to get it. I’ve rapped about her on her birthday for 2 years in a row and in it, I said she was the woman of the year and that she was the best principal in the district. She is finally getting recognition for that now, so that’s great. The fact that Dr. Crear is so much more connected to her students is definitely what made her stand out from the rest of the principals in the district,” said Amadi.

Amadi also elaborates on how Dr. Crear is more connected with her students and how she takes everyone’s interests into consideration.

“Before I transferred over to Bush, I went to another school and I’ve dealt with many other administrations, none as connected as she has been. Dr. Crear really keeps an eye out for what the students are interested in to keep the culture alive. Our school is alive in general; people look at our school on social media and are always saying that Bush seems like they are having so much fun and I think that’s great. I like that she’s established that we’re going to have our fun, but our standard of excellence is also going to be of help,” said Amadi.

Dean Green-Lee believes that after everything that Dr. Crear has done for the school, this award was well deserved. She goes into detail about how Dr. Crear has a vision embedded within the mission statement and how it was brought to life.

“This award was well-deserved. A couple of things that stands out is whenever we have a graduation and Dr. Crear speaks, her presence and her speeches are memorable. That is just something that many people get to observe. There are also some of the gains that our school has realized, especially with regards to our accountability from STAAR and how we’ve jumped up in many areas. She has worked really hard to establish a believable culture of high expectations. She believes that the students can reach that level, and so by trying to get everyone else to jump on board over the course of these past few years, it’s finally being realized. Folks believe in her mission and her vision; they believe in “Success, Nothing Less.” They believe in “Act like a Bronco, think like a B.O.S.S.” We are finally bringing people on board to support that and it makes a huge difference,” said Dean Green-Lee.

Dr. Crear is an excellent principal and her great leadership skills have led her to receiving this award. Make sure to stop in and congratulate her!

By C.B.