Bronco Blazer

• September 6We're back with more Bronco News!

• August 21Welcome back!!! We hope you have a wonderful school year!

• August 21Pre-order your yearbook to guarantee a copy! Go to www:balfour.com today!

Hunger Games

It’s that time of year again when teachers go head to head in a school wide event called Hunger Games. The games consist of four different parts: the door decoration contest, penny wars, the can food drive, and the actual games.

“Hunger Games is taken from the book series and the movie Hunger Games. It’s the seriousness of the adrenaline and the enthusiasm about how the Hunger Games actually, came. It’s usually to stop hunger, so the ultimate goal is not whoever wins gets a trophy, but it’s whoever collects the most cans for the can drive or pennies to go to a cause. We don’t get any of money back from Hunger Games; it’s charity work,” said William Lamptey, the 12th grade Student Body Historian.

The first event of the games was the door decorating contest. Teachers had to decorate their doors to show their school pride and dedication of hunger games. Teachers Sara Davis, Michael Arratia, Bernice Rodriquez, Yvonne Leroux, Andrea McCartney, Brandon Gay, and Ryan Lodini submitted their amazing door entries.

“The doors represent the teachers entering into the games and that’s their ticket in. The doors were consecutively graded on which was the best by a capital that consisted of the executives and some of the officers within student council. The doors were graded by a rubric that had creativity, school pride, if it tied into the theme of this year, and if they used the criteria that was given and more,” said Angel Falen, the 11th grade Student Body Vice President.

The following week after the door decoration contest, came the Penny Wars. Penny Wars is a nonprofit money raising event where pennies are positive points and silver coins and dollar bills are negative points. Students put their pennies into the teacher’s jug of the teachers they want to win and all their silver coins and bills into the teachers they want to lose.

“This year the teams get so competitive that they start to put in $5 bills and $20 bills and that’s why we gain so much from it, and none of these proceeds go to us at all, they all go to Meals on Wheels.  Leroux won, but McCartney raised the most money. Leroux’s team started putting $20s into McCartney’s and she had like $200 on her own. We raised a lot of money,” said Daisy Mayorga, the 11th grade Student Body Parliamentarian.

The third event of the hunger games was the can food drive. Students and teachers alike brought in non perishable canned food to be donated to the Fort Bend East Ministry Food Pantry.

“McCartney brought in over 2,000 cans just herself, second place was around 300 cans and then we had a teacher with like 5,” said Angel Falen, the 11th grade Student Body Vice President.

The final event that has yet to take place is the arena games. The games are top secret and much can’t be said about them, but some hints were given for what’s in store.

“For the actual arena games, we have the student council executives, being that we’re pretty much the host of the games. We’re going to referee to make sure that the games are going right and fair. We also have some of our officers to be co referees to make that we catch everything  that’s going on, on the stage. There are going to be police officers on deck because its going to be a full crowd of kids, we’re also going to have our teachers and our APs on standby to make sure everything is going well. So those are the people who are going to participate apart from the teachers and their teams of students. The teams are going to do obstacle challenges and games that you can get points in. Other than that I can’t say much more,” said William Lamptey, the 12th grade Student Body Historian.

“Leroux, McCartney, Gay, and Davis will be competing in the arena games. The games are several different rounds of obstacles and I can’t say what the actual events are because they change every year, but it’s going to be very exciting, so we’ll see who wins,” said Daisy Mayorga, the 11th grade Student Body Parliamentarian.

“I can’t say what will happen in the games, but its on April 19th during 7th Period,” said Angel Falen, the 11th grade Student Body Vice President.

By I.B.