Honoring Our Trailblazers

Thursday November 14, was the official ceremony for Principal of the Year. This ceremony was to acknowledge two empowering women, Dr. Cecilia Crear and Dr. Shirley Rose- Gilliam. Bush High School started a new tradition  to honor its Principal of the Year. This new tradition is called the “Walk of Fame” stars. Bush unveiled its first two stars to Dr. Crear and Dr. Rose-Gilliam.

Dr. Shirley Rose-Gilliam was awarded for the 2005-2006 Principal of the Year. Dr. Rose joined the FBISD community in 1989. She worked in several schools as a teacher and administrator. She worked at Willowridge, Elkins, Kempner, Marshall, and Bush High School. She also worked at  McAuliffe Middle School. She was named an FBISD Secondary Teacher of the Year. She was also a Region Four Principal of the Year. She left FBISD after 25 years. She is currently a Principal at Wheatley High School in HISD. She is a leadership coach for a consulting firm called “Believe in the Possibilities”. Dr. Rose-Gilliam’s motto at BHS was “believe in the possibilities”.

After seven years working at Bush High School, Dr. Rose-Gilliam then passed the torch to another woman, Dr. Cecilia Crear.

Dr. Cecilia Crear was awarded for the 2017-2018 Principal of the Year. Dr. Crear is a proud legacy of Fort Bend ISD. Dr. Crear attended Jones Elementary, Missouri City Middle, and Willowridge High School. She has more than 20 years of experience in education. Throughout her career, Dr. Crear has been a principal, assistant principal, and an associate principal. She was a teacher in Fort Bend and Alief ISD. As of right now, Dr. Crear is an executive principal of secondary schools. Dr. Crear does not only work with high school students, but she is also an adjunct professor at the University of Houston.

During her time at George Bush High School, Dr. Crear had an inspiring motto, “Success and Nothing Less.” This motto is still going on at Bush High School.

This ceremony would not have been able to take place if it wasn’t for the current principal, Ms. Felicia James. This event was not just a one time thing, and it became a Bronco Tradition.

By E.O.