George Bush High School Student Earns a Full Tuition Scholarship to Texas A&M University!

In the month of January, George Bush High School student, Daniel Achonye, officially received the Posse Scholarship. The Posse Scholarship is a nationally known scholarship that provides full-tuition to any of their partner colleges per the student’s choice. In the Houston region, Posse offers scholarships to 6 colleges: Bryn Mawr College, Carleton College, Colby College, Wellesley College, University of Virginia and Texas A&M University. After a interview process, Achonye was selected as a Posse Scholar. Out of approximately 1,200 high school nominees, Achonye is now one of the ten selected to earn a full-tuition, four-year scholarship to Texas A&M University.

Receiving this scholarship is far from easy and of course there are steps necessary for you need to take. First, you have to get nominated by a teacher.

“Ms. Bodhi, my sophomore engineering teacher, nominated me and it was really nice of her to do that, but there were a bunch of other people getting nominated, so I didn’t really think much of it. I thought to myself, ‘Okay let me just do this scholarship. I have, like, a 1% chance of getting it so it wouldn’t hurt to try’,” Achonye said.

Upon receiving a nomination, it’s only natural to seek some sort of advice and find some way to prepare for a scholarship interview. Later he would come to find out that this wasn’t a typical interview process.

“My sisters have a lot of experience with job interviews so there were able to do mock interviews. Little did I know that the first interview wasn’t going to be like a traditional interview,” Achonye said.

After the nomination, there is a certain process that nominees have to undertake.

“There were three rounds [of interviews]. The first round had about a hundred people in the room where they had us do team-building activities in order to see the type of person you are. The second round was more of a traditional interview where they ask about you, your accomplishments, how you are in school, and how you are at home. The third was like the first round but with less people,” Achonye said.

With three rounds of interviews, there’s bound to be obstacles.

“The most difficult part would have to be trying to stand out. Like I said, there were about a hundred people in the first round interview and we had to get noticed in order to move on to the next round,” Achonye said.

Despite all obstacles, Daniel Achonye was able to successfully pass all three rounds and was awarded the Posse Scholarship. He feels beyond blessed to have been given this opportunity and continues to have the support from his fellow classmates, friends, and family. Congratulations Bronco!

By G.R.