A Transition for All

The Student Council organization, better known as Stuco at George Bush High School, has been affected by COVID-19, making the usual in-person club convert to 100% online. 

During the 2020-2021 school year, many challenges and changes arose. The main challenge occurring with the transition to hosting meetings 100% online. Despite these obstacles, the Student Council officers have continued to work past this to keep the huge organization up and running. 

“Transitioning to online meetings was a little difficult because of having to create breakout rooms and having the link accessible to everyone,” Nathalie Hernandez, Student Council executive president, said. 

Having accessibility to the meetings was not the only concern that Student Council officers faced. Another obstacle is producing plans for their representative committees and classes. 

Yes, the transition from in person to virtual was difficult. Finding certain activities for each committee was difficult,” Tiffany Nguyen, junior class president, said. 

However, while it was difficult for some, other officers shared an opposing opinion. 

“For me personally, it was not hard. I was able to wake up at a later time, finish all my work at my own pace as I was in an environment that I was more comfortable around,” Megan Lam, sophomore class president, said. 

Along with the physical transition of face to face to online, the officers also faced a lack of motivation. 

“It’s hard to find motivation among my peers and other officers. But as for Stuco, I find my source of motivation among my peers and other officers,” Megan Lam said. 

Besides the lack of motivation, some officers struggled with keeping the goals they had set earlier in the year. 

“Something I have struggled with the most this year has been accomplishing what I promised to do. I really wanted to start a garden by the greenhouse because a classmate that graduated didn’t get to finish it. I also really wanted to focus on recycling, but because of COVID, I haven’t been able to figure out how I would do that when people are barely using paper, and when they do, it has their germs on it. It’s very complicated now,” Neida Alas, Student Council executive historian, said. 

Despite everything, the officers of Stuco have been able to push past these challenges from commitment their devotion to the organization. 

“The thing that keeps me motivated to having to do everything online is my commitment to Stuco. Stuco is a club that is very special to me as it has impacted my life, helping me grow,” Tiffany Nguyen said. 

Aside from all the cons that covid-19 and the online transition had on the extra-curricular, there were also some benefits from it. 

“I believe it has benefitted my brain when it comes to coming up with projects, as well as my officers. It has also tested my leadership skills and definitely changed them. I feel like I have grown to be a better leader than I was before,” Neida Alas said. 

Leadership and discipline were a key theme in a benefit for the different officers, despite only connecting with other officers and members through a computer screen. 

“It has benefited me in the sense that I have to be more disciplined in planning meetings and that I’ve bonded more with the officers this year, despite not seeing one another,” Megan Lam said. 

Despite the highs and lows, most of the officers have goals set for the remainder of the school year, not letting COVID-19 or the online setting ruin the atmosphere. 

A top goal for this year is having a successful turnout for the donation bowl, it’s the second year we host this drive and I’m hoping we are as successful as we were,” said Nathalie Hernandez. 

COVID-19 created restrictions in all areas for the Student Council team this year. However, persistence and motivation have kept the officer teams running. Despite the difficulties the year has offered, the bright minds of Student Council will continue to allow the organization to thrive for the rest of the 2020-2021 school year, and many more to come. 

By J.A.