Kicking Cancer

Student Council Creates Cancer Awareness Projects

Students painting rocks for Cancer awareness.

Jasmine Arias

On Monday, Feb. 13th, Student Council conducted various projects to raise awareness for various types of cancer. These projects help meet the Texas Association of Student Councils guidelines.

Each year, the TASC board selects a platform for every student council in Texas to adopt. This year, the state platform is “Kick Cancer” to raise awareness for numerous types of cancers. In order to aid the state platform, Student Council has painted rocks, written cancer facts, and colored ribbons to raise awareness.

“Raising awareness for cancer is extremely important as it continues to inform people about a topic that they may not know much about. While the topic of cancer is often brought up, not many people truly know the disease and its effects in depth— which is why it’s important to spread awareness about,” student body vice president, Madison Quach said.

Student Council member writing down cancer facts on paper.

The projects allowed members to educate themselves on the importance of seeing the signs of different types of cancers.

“The things I have learned about cancer are that cancer is the second-leading cause of death worldwide and what cancer is. What I have learned about cancer awareness is that the more aware a person is, it can lead to an increase in prevention of cancer,” student body treasurer, Kaylee Scott said.

Student holding up cancer facts on paper.

As a student body officer, Madison hopes that the community learns more about cancer and how real the issue is.

“One thing that I hope StuCo and community members will take away from the projects that have been conducted is that cancer is a very real, very possible occurrence— and support and appreciation should be given to those impacted by it in any way! This includes those directly affected by it, those caring for them, healthcare workers, and more,” Madison Quach said.

Throughout the school year, Student Council has conducted multiple projects to raise awareness for different types of cancers.

“Our StuCo has done multiple projects for cancers, such as breast cancer awareness posters, ribbons and lollipops during lunches, and a scavenger hunt activity. It’s nice to see so many projects, but it would be nicer to see more of them,” student body secretary, Phuong Pham said.

Student Council officer holding up a rock painted to showcase cancer awareness.

Through the various projects, Student Council has been able to successfully raise awareness for TASC’s “Kick Cancer” state platform, positively impacting the community around them.